What's That Running-in-the-woods Thing You Do Again?
Posted Sat, December 19, 2009 - 6:34 PM
orienteering, navigation, video, possumtrot
For all the times I've been asked that question. This is some raw video from last weekend's Possum Trot.
- I used an open back on the camera case, so the wind noise is pretty bad (who knew there was so much turbulence in front of my head?) I'll have to try running with the closed back and see if that improves the audio.
- The Hero HD has a 1080p mode with 135 degree FOV, which I used in this video. There's also a 720p with 170 degree setting, which I want to try for the next event. Then maybe I can get people to vote on which FOV they prefer.
- The weight is about the same as a typical headlamp, although concentrated in the front since there's no battery pack in the back. I could feel the difference after dropping it off, but I think that was more because of the tight straps then the actual weight.
- It's almost funny how similar this looks to a video game. Bouncy video, darting looks, plus regular map consultation. (Maybe I could complete the comparison by recording a paintball game?)
- Wait for a more-produced version too, with soundtrack and maybe some map overlays. Woo!
By the way, watching this is a LOT of fun, and I'm really tempted to wear this camera for a lot of the stuff I do... yes, I'm a geek. With pride.